Today's Bake...A Basic Boule


Today’s Bake…The Boule

4 cups of bread flour (I use Dakota or King Arthur)
2 1/4th cups of water (tap is fine)
1 tsp sugar (optional)
2 1/4th tsp of fast acting yeast (I use Red Star) 
1 tsp of kosher salt 


A little over a year ago, my husband and I took a Breads 101 class at the Cooks of Crocus Hill. Up until then, I had been dabbling in bread baking. I could (and still) do flatbreads really well. But all of the bread loaves I had tried were coming out dense and chewy (still tasted good, but wasn’t what I was wanting). I am certain this was not my husband’s idea of a fun afternoon, but he was a good sport. I on the other hand felt in my element, soaking up everything the chef had to say, taking lots of notes and ready to try the new lessons at home. 

This class taught me some important things, but most simply the type of flour used and the temperature of the liquid used is important for rise and the resulting texture. Since I had just been starting out, I didn’t know any better than to just use all purpose flour for my loaves. This was my first mistake. 

Bread flour is where it’s at. Bread flour contains more protein, and helps build better gluten in the breads. You don’t know unless someone tells you. Well I was told, and added it to my list of things I immediately needed to get at the grocery store. 

The liquid temperature also makes a huge difference. If using water, I like to put my tap on the hottest setting, fill up my measuring cup and place my thermometer in and let it sit until the temperature reads 116 degrees (F). At this point I add the yeast and whisk it in. Too hot, it kills the yeast, too cold and it won’t activate. Ideal range is 110 to 115. Lately I have been adding in one teaspoon of sugar to the hot water and stirring it in until it dissolves. Most boule recipes don’t call for the sugar, but I like the way it feeds the yeast in the standing water. If the recipe calls for milk as the liquid, I have found that heating the milk on the stove until just boiling then adding the yeast mixture is the best way for obtaining the ideal temperature. 


Do I sound like a huge bread nerd yet? I thought so. 

Let the liquid and yeast mixture sit until you see a light foam sitting on top. Then you know…it’s ALIVE! 

I have tried many methods with the same mixture and amounts for this bread. Many of which I’ll have to cover another time, the most common and time effective for me is to mix in the following order: 

Flour and salt-sift together
Water, sugar and yeast- whisk together

Pour water mixture into flour mixture and combine until the dough just comes together. (To impress your friends, add in Italian herbs here). Most of the information out there states to dump out the dough and knead right away, I am a rule breaker and I let the dough sit for 10-15 minutes covered with a flour sac towel at room temperature. Then I dump and knead. At first this step happened because as most of you know I am a mom of two toddlers. Naturally I was pulled away to help them with something, and by the time I returned I had found the flour had time to absorb all of the liquid on it’s own, instead of me forcing it together. This works of for me, and I tend to keep this rest before the first knead. 

Knead for 5-8 minutes. This is the most relaxing step for me, it’s therapy, and it’s about the only form of exercise I can endorse. 

When the dough is pulled together, and smooth, shape into a ball or dome and let it rest. I like to use my bowl from my kitchen aid mixer. (I hardly ever use my kitchen aid for bread making-that can be another post). 

Cover with plastic wrap, and proof. The class taught me to proof for 45 minutes. This is okay, but I like to leave it for two hours at least. I don’t have a fancy proofing drawer, but a few things have worked well for me. One technique I use is to warm up my rice neck wrap for 1 minute and 30 seconds, and leave it in the microwave with my dough. This works well as long as you can force yourself not to peek for the first hour. 

In the summer, it works to place the covered bowl in front of a sunny window. In the oven, with just the light on is another method. Or at room temperature, but be prepared to have a slow rise. 

After the dough has doubled in size, divide, and shape. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and let rest for 15-20 minutes, then bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 or until the internal temperature of the bread reads 185 degrees. 

This is my go-to weekly bake. My family eats this with most dinners, sandwiches or toast in the mornings. It’s so good with butter and cinnamon and sugar on top or dipped in olive oil with salt and parmesan cheese, and great for grilled cheese! 


Enjoy! 

Comments

Popular Posts