Today's Bake...Hawaiian Sweet Rolls



The first time I tried a King’s Hawaiian Sweet roll was one of my first dinners at my in-law’s house. Before they were my in-laws! My husband’s (boyfriend at the time) step mom had prepared a holiday ham with veggies. Served along side, were these soft, perfectly glazed sweet rolls all lined up in their package like uniformed soldiers. I know now, to grab more than one because between my husband, his brothers and dad these rolls did not last long around the table.  And there you have it, my introduction to the Hawaiian sweet roll about 17 years ago! 

My husband is a big fan of these sweet rolls and has been known to sneak a large pack into the grocery cart a time or two. I rarely buy them for my family, I prefer to serve a garlic bread or wheat roll if we have bread with dinner. This last Easter we hosted my father and mother-in law, so I thought nothing would compliment my ham better than a try at homemade Hawaiian rolls! I searched for a few recipes on Pinterest and ended up finding one to try. Listed above is the link to the recipe I used. I did alter the measurements and technique.  Here are my suggestions for what worked for me: 


The first attempt I followed the linked recipe word for word. It worked, but I didn't think the dough came together well in the mixer and it didn't rise well. Because of this, I immediately put together a second batch and tried the same recipe with these changes: 

Combine the warmed milk (about 110 degrees) with one tablespoon of the allowed sugar and the yeast until dissolved. Set aside until it reaches room temperature, it should be frothy on the top from the yeast activation. Combine all the wet ingredients as listed and follow the rest of the steps as Tessa describes. I did use my Kitchen-Aid mixer with the dough hook and it worked great. The dough should be a light yellow color and a little sticky but firm to the touch when shaped. Tessa suggests to let it proof for one hour, I found closer to two made the rolls fluffier the second time around. 

I also waited to brush the egg wash until right before I put them in the oven rather than before the second proof. 
I didn't find these to be as sweet as the store bought kind, so depending on your pallet you can adjust the sugar level. 

My husband liked both rolls, my mother-in-law liked the first batch better and my father-in-law would eat worms if you put something sweet on them so he ate both with gusto and said it was hard to compare. I preferred the second batch. I think by allowing the warm milk, sugar and yeast to activate for several minutes gave the dough a jump start on the proofing and gave me a better rise! I will be adding this to my bi-weekly bake schedule since my husband and girls love them so much! 

Check out my Instagram page @mydailybake for pictures and up to date baking adventures! Thank you for reading, please share your experience if you try any of these breads! 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCTWOlBzCJ/ 

Comments

Popular Posts