Today’s Bake…White Sandwich Bread

Today’s Bake…White Sandwich Bread

Is soft white sandwich bread the ultimate goal of every home baker or is it just mine? Ok, maybe it’s just mine. Don’t get me wrong, there is satisfaction in mastering the new trend of artisan bakes, but since I started baking bread at home, a basic sandwich loaf has been my goal. I traditionally stick with the boule for my family bread because of it’s versatility. After many trial and errors of baking with whole wheat (another blog for another day), I sort of fell into a comfort zone and was hesitant to try a lighter sandwich loaf. After burying my nose in the new book I got for my 35th birthday, The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum, (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com), who I am convinced is nothing short of an angel for sharing her years of wisdom with an amateur like me, I bravely decided to give the sandwich loaf a go. 

After reading the forward, the introduction and the ten essential steps of making bread or the first 30 pages, I realized I might be in over my bread (ha, ha, get it?). It took a few re-reads until I was able to picture myself baking what she was explaining. I have learned so much in the last two weeks from her book, than I have in my two years of experimenting. It reignited a desire to learn and practice, for the ability to do both, I am grateful. 

So, following Ms. Levy Beranbaum’s recipe for Basic Soft White Sandwich Loaf (pgs 244-248), 
I mixed together my starter dough last night. Using a starter dough is new and and an unknown process for me. My understanding of a starter dough is it helps to start the fermentation process. This recipe calls for the sponge method. It’s a thinner mix (like a batter) and rests for at least an hour before adding the other ingredients. Apparently it helps deepen the flavor of the bread, it can work for any recipe and actually I tried this method on my last boule and I liked it better than mixing everything at the beginning. It was easier, for me, to knead the dough. 

I made the starter dough tonight at 5pm, so I won’t have enough time to see this bread through this evening. Ms. Levy Beranbaum said that sponges can sit at room temperature for an hour, or in the fridge for up to 24 hours (pg. 33). So in the fridge it goes until tomorrow morning. 

8:00am- Good morning! I dreamt about kneading bread dough last night. 

My kids are eating breakfast, so now’s my chance! I just got done sprinkling the remaining flour and yeast over my starter sponge, and set it to rest for four hours! Time to finally have that cup of coffee! Stay tuned! 



Find me on Instagram at MyDailyBake for up to date videos and pictures of my daily bakes! 
https://www.instagram.com/mydailybake/ 

Comments

Popular Posts