Today's Bake...French Bread

3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 3/4 tsp of salt
2 1/4th tsp of yeast

Starter dough
For starter dough:
Mix two cups of flour with all of the water and yeast. Whisk vigorously until combined, the dough should have a similar texture as pancake batter, but stickier. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in fridge to sit overnight (no more than 16 hours). I put some tape on the bowl so I could see the level the mix started at, it should double in size overnight.


After overnight proof
In the morning, take the dough out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature, about 2 hours. Add remaining flour in an even layer on top of the starter dough, along with the salt. Let proof at room temperature for at least two hours. You should see cracks in the flour where the dough has risen.

Combined dough


Combine the dough until it holds in a ball. This is a wet dough, so be sure your board is floured liberally.  Knead gently for two minutes. Divide dough in two, shape, and rest again for at least an hour.



Brush with warm water, then place into a 475 degree oven. I put the two racks on the bottom two rungs. Fill a baking sheet with ice, and place on the bottom rack right before putting the loaves in. This helps create steam and a crispy crust.  Bake for 30 minutes or until outside is dark brown, and internal temperature reads at least 200 degrees.  Let cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!





 There are a few reasons why I love to bake. Firstly, I am putting time and love into an act which my family directly benefits from. Spending the time baking for my family, seeing them enjoy my end results gives me a great sense of accomplishment. It feels great to be able to provide for them this way. Secondly, I find it to be very relaxing, and a great stress reliever.

French bread is an easy option for weekly dinner.  Each batch makes two loaves, and one loaf feeds my little family of four for one meal. The goal is more of a chewy, crunchy crust and a more dense crumb vs a baguette which is lighter on the inside and crispy on the outside. I have tried the french loaves two different ways. First without a starter dough, then with. I found the first attempt was great tasting, and allowed me to complete the process more quickly-several hours instead of spreading it out overnight. However using the starter dough led to a harder exterior and a better proof and of course, more flavor! So, in my humble opinion, use the starter dough method.

We had it last night with pot roast and vegetables. It's great on it's own with butter, perfect with some butter and garlic powder toasted as a side, or slice it up and place it on your next cheese and fruit plate while hosting! Also, if you find some slices close to their last day, make some yummy french toast!

Thanks for reading! My next adventure will be lemon poppy seed bread!



Comments

Popular Posts